If you have checked Amazon recently, you have seen all the new releases of coloring books just for this month, let alone the many coloring books that made it to bestsellers. That is amazing!
While adult coloring books have been around since the 1960’s, the trend started out in 2013 with the Secret Garden by Johanna Basford, a Scottish Illustrator. The New York Times reported in March that year, that the Korean pop star Kim Ki-bum had posted a photograph of a “delicately colored-in floral pattern” from it on Instagram. At the time, Ki-burn had a massive 1.8 million Instagram followers. The post went viral and helped to ignite the craze.
Michal Ann Strahilevitz, a behavioral economist at the University of Wollongong in Australia, names five factors as main contributors to the ongoing trend:
1. Coloring books are beautiful to look at and fun to color. It’s an uplifting element, either way.
2. Coloring books connect us with our childhood, recapturing it’s nostalgia in a usually reserved activity for children. It takes us back to simpler times.
3. Coloring books help to de-stress and bring relaxation. “So many things in life are hard, but coloring in a coloring book is easy. It’s a nice way to relax.” The coloring effect comes through back-and-forth movements of the colored pencils, markers etc., which requires the use of both sides of the brain causing neurons to reinforce their connections between both sides of the brain while shutting down the front lobe which controls organization. So, a feeling of balance occurs after a stressful day.
Coloring gives relief to the daily demands of attention focusing at work, stress of everyday life, information overload, intense competition, intense play, intense everything at times.
4. Coloring books ignite our creativity without requiring us to be a professional artist. The outlined images make it easy. “These books let us be creative with choice of color and create something lovely and unique.”
images make it easy. “These books let us be creative with choice of color and create something lovely
I am adding some reasons myself:
5. Coloring books come in a broad variety of topics, catering to every interest. Most of the times, coloring books include coloring images for all artistic skill levels.
6. Coloring books come in various sizes, some now also as card deck sets, so they can fit easily into a purse or the door compartment of a car. It’s an easy on-the-go tool to turn spare time or seemingly ‘lost’ time while waiting for a doctor’s appointment, at piano or soccer practice into highly beneficial me-times.
7. Coloring books are a great activity for families and with friends. They spurn on conversations. Facebook coloring groups and local coloring groups have become very popular for that reason. It connects people of all ages, makes them speak about their coloring projects, even introverts.
8. Coloring books with large print are a highly effective as well as fun way for children, elderly people, and those after hand-surgery etc. to enhance their fine motor skills and focus. It is a pre-active way and tool for all others to hold off or prevent Alzheimer’s disease.
9. Coloring books with affirmations and Bible verses are a great way for ill people and those that are in any therapy and rehabilitation, to release tensions and stress while feeding the conscious and sub-conscious mind with positive affirmations and encouraging verses.
10. Coloring books and journals with coloring images are very effective tools to help someone in the grieving process. It’s again a double effect of releasing tension and stress by coloring, and releasing thoughts and emotions by writing.
11. Coloring books with Bible verses are a great way to meditate on them while coloring and memorizing them.
12. Coloring images are a way to express one’s uniqueness and mood. Using certain colors, e.g., vibrant yellow and orange, can stimulate emotions and energize one’s spirit. It is a color therapy in two different ways.
13. Colored images and cards can be used as unique home decorations and gifts. You will be remembered and loved forever!
14. Creating colored books can become a passive income stream and/or a full-fledged creative business.
There you have it! 14 reasons why coloring books will prevail strong in demand and why there will be no end to the adult coloring craze. Great, isn’t it?