Do you ever feel sluggish and depleted of energy? Most of us do for all sorts of contributing reasons. One of the reasons might be toxins piling up in your body.
Toxins enter our body in many ways: through the air, our food, supplements, medicines and drinks, our cloths, beauty and household articles, chemicals and other things we have to handle. In fact, toxins are everywhere!
Toxins can cause cellular damage, making the cell membranes porous and leaky. This can result in malfunction of and damage to glands, organs and other tissue. But luckily, there is an easy fix! Drinking detox water aids our body to release toxins and to jump start the metabolism.
Detox water can be used on a daily basis or in form of a week or month-long diet. The amount to drink varies from sedentary people with about 6-8 8 oz. glasses and active athletes with about 8-12 8 oz. glasses.
Detox water, also called infused water, is water that helps to detox the body. It does so through herbs and sliced fruits, that leach their nutrients into the water.
How To Make Detox Water
Making detox water is easy! All you need is a jar filled with water, then add a variation of sliced fruits, and whole herb leaves. Add ice cubes if you like it refreshing cold. Let the water stand either for 1-3 hours, or overnight.
Best to use a glass pitcher, fruit infuser pitcher, or portable fruit infuser, so no BPA (bisphenol A) from plastic is leaking out. As for the fruits, wash and peel them. Leave the herb leaves and sprigs whole. If you like the drink refreshing cold, add some ice cubes. Here are the steps:
- Peel and slice fruits ½ inch thick – add to jar
- Add ice cubes to about ½ of the jar
- Fill jar with purified, filtered, or sparkling water
- Let stand for 1-3 hours, or overnight
Ingredients And Their Benefits
The great thing with detox water is, that you can create your own recipes depending on your taste preference, seasonal availability, and physical needs. Just add two to four fruits and/or ingredients. Here is a list of several of them and their benefits:
- Lemon – promotes digestion, flushes toxins
- Oranges – boosts the immune system with lots of vitamin C
- Grapefruit – jump starts the metabolism, combats adverse drug reactions
- Raspberries – rich of antioxidants, boosts immune system
- Strawberries – rich of antioxidants, flushes toxins
- Watermelon – rich of antioxidants, flushes toxins
- Apples – rich in vitamins and minerals, flushes toxins
- Blueberries – rich in antioxidants, promotes digestion
- Ginger – detoxifying agent, stimulates digestion, circulation and sweating
- Mint – calming, anti-inflammatory, promotes digestion
- Apple cider vinegar – rich in enzymes and good bacteria, promotes digestion
- Cinnamon – rich of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, boosts immune system
To get you started, here are some proven detox water recipes.
10 Detox Water Recipes
Lemon Orange Mint Detox Water
1 lemon + 1 orange + 5 mint leaves
Lemon Ginger Detox Water
1 lemon + ½-inch knob of ginger root
Cucumber Lemon Mint Detox Water
½ cucumber + 1 lemon + 5 mint leaves
Orange Blueberry Detox Water
2 oranges + 1 cup blueberries
Strawberry Watermelon Blueberry Detox Water
1 cup slices strawberries + 1 cup cubes of watermelon + 1 cup blueberries
Strawberry Lemon Mint Detox Water
1 cup strawberries + 1 lemon + 5 mint leaves
Apple cider vinegar + Lemon + cinnamon + apple
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar + juice from ½ lemon + 1 tsp. cinnamon + ½ apple
Raspberry Orange Detox Water
1 cup raspberries +1 orange
Cucumber Mint Detox Water
1 medium cucumber + 5 mint leaves
Apple Lemon Cinnamon Detox Water
2 apples + 1 lemon + ½ tsp cinnamon
For a healthy you!